
It all started on the day of my parent conferences last year. I was able to eat at a normal time, instead of the brunch hour of 10:50 that kindergarteners normally get, so I ate with the 4th and 5th grade teachers. My friend Lucy had this interesting green concoction in her tupperware (80's!) and I asked her what she was eating. She proceeded to tell me that her family called it "Craig's Chicken" because her mom's personal trainer, Craig, gave them the recipe. It was very simple but completely reliant on this special sauce called Salpica Cilantro Green Olive Salsa. She said they only sold it at certain places, but they always got it at the Albertson's close to her house. I was intrigued, so the next time I was at the Albertsons, I looked for it and couldn't find it anywhere. Lucy and I often carpool to school since we live so close together, so I told her how I had tried to get the salsa, but came up short. She said her parents had the same problem, so they bought an entire case of it online! She said she would bring me a jar, and she did, so I made it the very next night. We were hooked! Lucy was right, it is soooo good and so unlike any other flavor I have had before! For all my fellow olive haters out there, you can't tell at all that it is made of green olives, I promise! Lucy and I rode together to workout today and she mentioned that she was having leftover Craig's Chicken for lunch. I fixated on it from then on and had to have it. Rocky and I went to the store especially for the salsa, and there it was in all it's glory. Needless to say, we bought 2 jars. So here is the all too easy recipe for you to try...if you can find the holy grail of Salpica Cilantro Green Olive Salsa!
Craig's Chicken
4 small or 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 jar Salpica Cilantro Green Olive Salsa
1 bag shredded monterrey jack cheese
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces, salt and pepper, then saute in a PAM coated skillet until done.
- Pour salsa over chicken and let it cook together until bubbly, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add cheese (I didn't use the entire bag, but do as you please) and stir around until melted, creamy, and delicious!
Serve this with tortilla chips (Lucy's way) or rice (our way) and sliced avocado. I also like it with a little sour cream on top. Rocky says, "Thanks for sharing, My Friend Lucy"!!
It ain't pretty but it sure is tasty!
I thought I would add one more recipe for Cuban Black beans because that is what we had as a side dish tonight. Easy and yummy!
Cuban Black Beans
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 cans black beans, one drained and the other not drained
1 tsp. cumin (or more if you're me)
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 Tblsp. red wine vinegar
Saute the onion and bell pepper in a small PAM coated saucepan. When tender, add the black beans and spices. Cook these for about 10 minutes, or until the juices start to thicken a little and everything is heated through. Take the pot off the heat and add the vinegar.
No comments:
Post a Comment