Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Everything Lasagna

Tonight I planned to make a normal old lasagna, but after I went to Sprouts, I decided to jazz up my regular recipe with some veggies. I have made a vegetable lasagna before, as well as a meat lasagna, but since this is a combo of both, I called it Everything Lasagna. I added a layer of zuchinni to cut down on the noodles you need to use (zuchinni was on sale, too!). I think I may even try it using all zuchinni sometime! This is a great way to incorporate veggies into your meal. Try it and you'll like it!
Everything Lasagna

6 lasagna noodles
2 large zuchinni, sliced lengthwise into planks

Boil a large pot of water. Add 6 lasagna noodles. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the zuchinni. Cook for about 5 more minutes then remove from heat and drain. Set aside and let cool. They should not be completely done. While waiting for water to boil, prepare the sauce and filling.

Sauce:
1 lb. ground turkey meat
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 onion, chopped
1 T. minced garlic
1 jar of garlic and herb spaghetti sauce (sorry, Jen, I know this appalls you!)
1 pkg. mushrooms

Brown the turkey meat with the onion and garlic. Add tomatoes and sauce and let simmer for a few minutes. Add mushrooms to the sauce at the last minute. Set aside and prepare filling.

Filling:
1 large container cottage cheese (I used fat free)
2 eggs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 package of chopped spinach, drained
1 cup shredded mozzarella (about 1/2 a bag)

Begin by placing a few spoonfuls of sauce into the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch casserole dish. Place a layer of 3 noodles on that, then a layer of cheese mixture. Next, place the zuchinni in a layer just like you would put noodles. Follow with more sauce, noodles, cheese mixture, and finally sauce. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes until the lasagna is bubbly and brown. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese- about 1 cup. Bake about 10 more minutes until cheese is melted.


It's not that pretty, but it sure is tasty!!


Rocky liked it!!

No comments: