The title of this blog is what people say about Paisano Baptist Encampment- you keep coming back. And that has been true in my life for the past 25+ years. I am not sure how many years I have missed, but it hasn't been many. I love Paisano!
But I learned lots of new things this year at camp, first and foremost, being a kid at camp and having a kid at camp are two very different things! I was so excited to take Brinley to Paisano this year. We missed last year because she was only a month old but I knew that this year would be easier. Right...easier.
The first couple days in our 2 room cabin, with a large wall unit air conditioner, and dusty floors were tough, but we managed and it got better with each passing day. I think I was just trying to treat it like we were home, and the truth was, we weren't. You kinda just have to let schedules and routine fly out the window for a week and go with the flow!
It started out a little rough with some sleepless days and nights for all of us, but after a couple days, everyone was doing better and it was alot of fun. I have so many wonderful memories of Paisano and I couldn't wait to share them with Brinley!
I think in the end Papa was glad we were there too even though it took some adjusting for his as well.
We had all our meals in the cook shed and Brinley loved it. So many people to see!
She enjoyed the beans, pb&j sandwiches, and fruit they served every day. They don't actually serve pb&j but they have peanut butter on the table all the time and they offer bread at every meal. She also loved breakfast- scrambled eggs, pancakes, grapes, and bananas every morning!
I love the food there but it isn't always the most kid friendly. Lots of barbecue and salads.
The people there are like family to me so someone was always holding Brinley or walking her around the cookshed. I was so glad she got to meet so many special people that already loved her!
The people there are like family to me so someone was always holding Brinley or walking her around the cookshed. I was so glad she got to meet so many special people that already loved her!
This is Terry who kept me in the nursery when I was Brinley's age. I heard "I remember when you were that size!" too many times to count!
I love the afternoon showers at Paisano- the smell of the rain, the sound on the tin roof, and the cool temperatures it brings. Brinley slept through a huge rainstorm that hit right after lunch. There would have been no way we could have made it back to our cabin but I am glad she was able to take her nap regardless.
Another kid tradition at Paisano is climbing on the rock pile. This was as close as Brinley got to it but I think she thought it was pretty neat. I know in the coming years I won't be able to get her off of it!
Papa enjoyed teaching Brinley about the wildlife- the trees and the doves. Good thing he never had to teach her about javelinas!

I am so glad he and Brinley had this time to bond. Maybe when she gets older he can make her a Paisano toothpick!
I love the afternoon showers at Paisano- the smell of the rain, the sound on the tin roof, and the cool temperatures it brings. Brinley slept through a huge rainstorm that hit right after lunch. There would have been no way we could have made it back to our cabin but I am glad she was able to take her nap regardless.
Another kid tradition at Paisano is climbing on the rock pile. This was as close as Brinley got to it but I think she thought it was pretty neat. I know in the coming years I won't be able to get her off of it!
Papa enjoyed teaching Brinley about the wildlife- the trees and the doves. Good thing he never had to teach her about javelinas!
I am so glad he and Brinley had this time to bond. Maybe when she gets older he can make her a Paisano toothpick!
Every year since Rocky and I have been married, we take a picture in front of the bell. It is a tradition for the youth of Paisano to sneak out late at night to paint it. Someone will ring it to signal time for meals and services. Our first pic is Rocky and I, the second one is just me, and now the third one is with Brinley. Hopefully someday we can all be in one together!
4 comments:
great pics! i'm glad it all worked out- so special for brinley to be a part of something so dear to you. good thing your dad didn't have to teach brinley about illegal aliens. (is that ok for me to say?!?!)
rebekah! : ) teehee! : ) amy, i am so glad that it all worked itself out, good for you and good for brinley for making a special tradition work! how impressive that she slept in her stroller too! oh and she looks so cute in all her pictures as always! bekah and i especially love her navy blue dress! : )
Yay Paisano! Remember when you took me with you that one summer? It is such a special place, you guys are part of something really great there!
yeah, i'm glad she didn't have to learn about the javelinas either. I was super scared about those! yikes!
hahaha Kristie! Remember when my dad fell in the "black hole" in his dream? That was so much fun having you there!
Post a Comment