Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Meatless Monday...Ole!

This week's Meatless Monday meal was inspired by an episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay. Most of you know that I am obsessed with the Food Network but this actually isn't a show on my DVR. We just happened to watch it one night and they were having a Huevos Rancheros throwdown. It was something I had never made or eaten before but it looked so good that I decided to try my hand at recreating the recipe.


As I have mentioned before, I don't really use many recipes but I will do my best to let you know the ingredients I used. If any of you actually use my recipes that I post on here, and have any questions, just comment and I will be glad to give you more info!

Huevos Rancheros
Layer 1-

1 corn tortilla fried in hot vegetable oil until it is a little crispy, but not too crispy :0)
Layer 2-
refried beans (you could use canned, but I chose to cook some in the crockpot all day and mush them up myself, i think they are better that way)
Layer 3-
shredded monterrey jack cheese
Layer 4-
one egg fried over easy
Layer 5-
warm tomato sauce/salsa- this is key! throw all of the following ingredients in a saucepan and cook until everything is mushy and done. No need to chop anything because you will puree it in the end (you can use a hand blender, a food processor or a regular blender)

  • 5-6 fresh roma tomatoes
  • 2 fresh jalapenos, seeded
  • 2 Hatch green chiles (you could add any other type of pepper here or leave it out and just use jalapenos)
  • 1/2 onion
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 can chicken broth
  • 1 handful of cilantro (add after everything is fully cooked)
  • lots of salt to taste (i have no idea how much i added!)

Layer 6-
diced avocado

I know you might be hating right now but you should really give this a try. It is so good! Let me know you if any of you are inspired to have your own Meatless Monday!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I had this last night for dinner! Here's a different variety:
tortilla, egg, salsa (just like normal)...then add feta, fresh tomato, avocado and whatever sauteed veggies you have in the fridge. So good!