Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Meatless Monday

I have decided to start up a new tradition at the Mc household, Meatless Mondays. Don't worry, we are in no way going vegetarian on you or anything, I just figured it would be a challenge of sorts for this stay at home mom. It is cheaper to cook without meat and I don't really miss it. So, our first Meatless Monday recipe was a Veggie Fritatta.

I have made a fritatta once before and they are so easy and good! Its a great way to use up leftover veggies or meats- you can use anything. It's also a good way to hide those veggies from the little kiddos.You might not want to go meatless, but you should definitely give a fritatta a try. It got rave reviews from all my subjects!

Veggie Frittata
Serves 4
4 whole eggs
4 egg whites (you could just use 8 whole eggs if you aren't trying to be "light")
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
diced onion, broccoli, and spinach
1 large red potato
olive oil
shredded cheddar or any other cheese you like
  • Beat together the eggs, whites, milk, salt and pepper. Set aside.
  • If you choose to use potato, cook for about 5 minutes in the microwave until it is mostly soft. Slice and set aside.
  • Saute the onion (and any other raw veggies you include) in a little olive oil until is is cooked through.
  • Thaw the spinach and broccoli and squeeze out water. Add it to the skillet with the onions and saute for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Add a little extra olive oil and arrange the potato slices around the skillet.
  • Pour in the eggs and stir it around very gently to make sure it covers all the veggies.
  • Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for about 20 minutes (until the eggs are set and puffy)
  • Sprinkle the top with cheese and place it back in the oven to melt.

Slice into four wedges and serve with fruit and biscuits. Enjoy!

4 comments:

rebekah l. louis said...

frittata is a fun word to say :) thanks for the idea!

Haley said...

Yummmm, looks and sounds delicious. I'm going to try it soon. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Kristen said...

Love the meatless monday idea. I have also thought about having a "bean night" where beans are the main ingredient. Could get sick of beans but it would be another way to save money and get creative. Post as many of your meatless mondays recipes as you can so I can try them out!

Jennifer said...

Let me know if you need any vegetarian recipes. :)