Friday, August 27, 2010

Healthy Chocolate

I received this wooden baking set at one of my showers and recently took it out for Brinley to play with while I am cooking. She loves to use the spoon and carries the bowl around the house. She pretends to stir then lets me have a taste. It's so much fun! I decided that I wanted to make something sweet for us to enjoy over the weekend so we set out to cook together! She had her baking tools, and I had mine, and the kitchen sink was the perfect safe place to sit.
Brinley found the joy of chocolate chips but don't worry, no raw dough. Although I had no problem enjoying a few too many bites of dough myself!
The finished product was absolutely delicious! I highly recommend you give them a try. In the words of my husband, "It's like a diet brownie"... :0)
Whole Grain Cookie Bars
{Keeping Up Cookbook}

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 cups quick oats
2 cups dark chocolate chips

Cream together butter and sugars, adding eggs, then vanilla. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, and oats until just blended. Fold in chocolate chips and spread dough into a 9 x9 pan (greased, please) and bake at 325 for 20-28 minutes.. You want to underbake these slightly--golden brown on top and center is still very soft. Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes or so.

Cut into squares and have milk on hand.

No comments: