Saturday, July 25, 2009

Amy + Fisher Price Baby Papasan Swing = Love


Dearest Fisher Price Baby Papasan Infant Swing,

I want to take this moment in the wee small hours of the morning to thank you for just being you. You have been my saving grace over the past few days and I don't know what I would do without you.
You see, about a week ago, a grumpy old boogey man named "Gas" took my baby and replaced her with another very unhappy, crying, uncomfortable one. My old baby would sleep through the night only to awaken for 30 minutes to eat and then return peacefully to dreamland. This new little lady seems to think that 3:00 is a better time to awaken and then feels that there is no need to go back to sleep anytime remotely close to 30 minutes later. Instead she screams, writhes in pain, and makes lots of very unladylike noises for an hour or so after her early morning snack. She even sometimes tricks me into thinking she has returned to dreamland only to boldly deny that moments later with a harsh and loud cry.

That is where you come in oh lovely baby papasan infant swing....you are my rock, my last ditch effort...and you always swoop in to save the day. I think you secretly harbor a large S on your back and a red cape you keep hidden under your hard plastic exterior. After what feels like hours of shushing, swaying, rocking, bouncing, and replacing a pacifier, I turn to you in my time of need and you come through. I am honestly always sorry that I didn't turn to you sooner. I am currently watching my once tormented 6 week old sleep peacefully in the arms of your lovely papasan seat. So, thank you.

You have a way of helping out during the day as well. This valiant effort can not go unrecognized. Your little mobile is quite the distraction and your 5 option sound machine provides minutes of joyful entertainment. Whether its a peaceful waterfal, crickets chirping, or the tunes of my once piano playing youth, the sounds drown out cries and replace them with snores. You provide an opportunity for a shower or a bowl of cereal for this weary mommy. You are such a giver. So, I hope you don't mind my little child taking up a permanant residence in your loving embrace. This is the direction we are headed.

I was planning to go out of town next week, and I shake with fear at the thought of 4 days without you. A friend let me borrow a travel swing but I just don't know if it will be able to fill your very big shoes. A week without you could prove to be a week without peace, and this is what fills my heart with terror. What will I do without you? Please know that you will gone but not forgotten.

I know there are many other mommies who have the same secret love affair with you, so I am proud to be the one to publicly express my gratitude. Thanks for a moment to myself and an extra wink or two of sleep. If there is a baby swing heaven up there somewhere, you have sealed your place in it.

Yours Truly,
Amy

4 comments:

the bowlin family said...

hilarious!! i too LOVED this swing. you are too funny!

Becky said...

i love the way she just stares at those bears flying by...that chair really is amazing! great writing amers - so funny!

Jenny said...

as you know, i too share in the love and appreciation for this incredible device, but i could NEVER have put my love into words the way you did, this was so eloquent!! teehee they should market this and turn it into a commercial!

Kristen said...

at 4 months old its finally time for ava to part ways with our beloved swing...at least for awhile so she can finally get used to the crib. i dont know who is going to cry harder about it, ava or mommy! btw, we loaded up the swing on our vacation and took it with us and it, as always, was a life saver. bring it if u have room!