Brinley also loooves Ivy and Winnie. She just smiled, watched, and laughed at them the entire time. I don't know where she gets her love for dogs but I have a feeling we might get some requests for one of our own in the future...we'll see how that pans out. We were pretty sure she was saying "Da!" every time the dogs came around...here's proof!
Erin's husband Jeremy's parents, Billy and Rita came into town a little early for the same reasons Erin did. They came over to the house while we were working. They watched the dogs and kept Brinley occupied since she wouldn't nap with all the action going on. I am so glad they came- Brinley loved all the attention!
We decided to make her Dad's cake since I didn't really know of a bakery around here. I am always up for a crafting adventure so we gave it a whirl. We baked the cake, frosted it with buttercream, and decorated it with royal icing and fondant. I learned a few things about making cakes that I would like to share...
We tried to make the paisleys with the royal icing, let them set, then place them on the cake.
Well, that did not work. They never really hardened enough to take off the wax paper. So, we ended up just piping straight onto the cake.
We used the already made black icing by Wilton to do the detail work. We were afraid it would be the jelly type that tends to run, but it wasn't! It worked great and I love how you can just attach your own tips to it.
It was my first time working with fondant and I think it really added a finishing touch to the cake. It dries out easily so make sure you keep a little bowl of water out to keep it moist and to attach it onto the cake.
You can have a smooth surface without having to cover the cake with fondant. You can use buttercream instead which tastes so much better than fondant! We were advised to use a Viva paper towel, but we couldn't really make that work so a spatula was just as easy.
The bakers with their masterpiece! We aren'tplanning to take it professional yet but we were proud of our work!
3 comments:
that cake is BEAUTIFUL! and so orignial! just when i don't know if i can be any more impressed with you and your craftiness, you bust out something like this! cute title by the way! : ) teehee!
wow! awesome cake! and look at little Ms. Brinley--this must be the week to crawl--she's the 3rd baby I know to start crawling this week--including Paul!=)
the cake turned out awesome! way to go!
Post a Comment