Thursday, January 7, 2010

Warm and Delicious

In this cold weather, all I want to eat is soup! Here is a recipe for Italian wedding soup. So easy and delicious!

2 1/2 quarts chicken stock (I used some homemade that I made by boiling the bones of a rotisserie chicken with celery, onion, and carrots. I think it makes a difference but you could always use canned or boxed stock)

For soup:
1 c. orzo pasta
1 pkg. frozen spinach
2 large carrots, chopped
1/2 onion chopped

For meatballs:
1 lb. ground beef
1/4 c. breadcrumbs
2 T. parmesan cheese
1 tsp. dried basil
salt and pepper
2 eggs

First, combine ingredients for meatballs and shape into small 3/4 inch balls. Set aside.

Combine stock and veggies in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil. Add orzo pasta and boil for a minute or so. Add meatballs to the pot one at a time and do not stir. They will float to the top as they cook. Allow soup to boil 20 minutes or so until everything is fully cooked.

Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and some hot crusty french bread!

Note: This recipe makes a ton of meatballs so I actually only put half the amount in my soup. I baked the rest of them and froze them to have with spaghetti next week.

No comments: