Sunday, December 6, 2009

Brinley's Dedication

Today we stood in front of our giant church family and dedicated our sweet baby girl to the Lord.



For those of you who are unfamiliar with baby dedication, it is a thing done in many Baptist churches (and others might too but I am not sure) that is sorta like a baptism or christening in other denominations. It is a time for the parents to come in front of their church family and promise to raise their child in the ways of the Lord, for the extended family and friends to promise to do their part, for the church family to promise to be there to support the family, and for the pastor to say a blessing over the child. It was a very special time for our family.

They gave me a pretty rose and Brinley a beautiful little cross and bible, wonderful momentos of the occasion.

It meant alot to me to have most the grandparents there. They were all clamoring for their turn to hold her!
My mom was already here to help out for the weekend (which I will blog more about later :)), and my Dad drove in this morning because he did a wedding last night.
Royce and Donna drove in from their weekend in Oklahoma.
Our sweet little family of 3
Being the center of attention really wears a girl out!

We headed to brunch at Blue Mesa Grill afterwards and she didn't even make it out of the parking lot. I was so proud of her, even without a nap, she was all smiles through the entire service.
Another special part of the day was that Brinley wore the dress and bonnet I wore at my baby dedication many years ago. I loved it from head to toe! We got a few funny looks about the bonnet and our pastor even commented that she was ready for Easter, but I didn't mind because I thought it was too precious not to put on her. If I had a scanner attached to this computer, I would show you what I looked like in the dress but for now you can just imagine.
The pastor preached on Abraham today and used this verse when speaking of the legacy he left for his children. I felt it was more than appropriate for the occasion.
"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth."
3 John 1:4
Isn't that the truth? I want Brinley to be so many things in life, but most importantly I want her to know and follow Jesus. With that in place, everything else will work out as it should. Thank you Lord for allowing us the opportunity to raise this little girl here on earth!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, she is so pretty in her dress! And I LOVE your photo at the top of you blog! That smile is gorgeous! :) Hope you're doing well Amy!

Jenny said...

oh that last part about the bible verse and what you said, made me tear up, you are so right! and amy, that dress and bonnet were MADE for her, the way, i know they were made for you! easter or not, that girl is the cutest darn thing in that bonnet! i LOVE that you had her wear all of that, from head to toe! so happy that it all went well!

rebekah l. louis said...

such a special time for such a beautiful family! brinley looked precious- be strong in the bonnet! take if from a girl who has had many, many funny looks at her church for the way she dresses her child :)