Sunday, August 31, 2008

"We interrupt this marriage to bring you football season."

Well fans, football season has officially started. I have never been too keen on watching football even though I have been surrounded by it my whole life. From watching my little bro play football in pop warner up to college, to being a football manager (muggette) at Wylie High School, to dating Rocky as a HSU football player, then to marrying into a family of 2 football coaches... I have learned to enjoy football. Like I said in an earlier post about baseball, I like the idea of football- tailgating, gathering with friends to watch games, halftime shows, cheerleaders, and concession stand food, but I am still learning to actually enjoy watching the game and to pay attention to what is happening on the field (past the cheerleaders). I think I have made huge strides since Rocky and I have been married.
This weekend, we kicked off football season by getting our home ready for football viewing, then heading off to Central Texas to support our two favorite high school coaches.
Rocky got off early on Friday and was supposed to be home before me so we could get ready to head out of town. When I got home, the apartment was empty...no Rocky in sight. He had finally ordered his new television a few days earlier and found out that the distribution center was in Irving. It was supposed to be delivered by a special company that brings it in and sets it up, but you have to be home for them to deliver. Rocky knew he couldn't wait for a day that we would actually be home to get it, so he decided to forego the perks of delivery and installation and schlep to Irving to get it himself! So, a little while after I got home, he called and giddily told me that he had the TV in his possession and he needed me to help him bring it up to the apt.

Like a kid at Christmas...

Football viewing at it's finest...check.
After we got the apartment ready, we hit the road to Penelope...home of the Wolverines. Rocky's brother Corey is the head coach of the 6 man team, so we went to cheer them on in their first game of the season. They won 50-0! In 6 man football, they have a mercy rule where if one team scores 45 points ahead of the other team, they call the game. We "45ed" 'em with 6 minutes left in the game!
Post-game debriefings over the fence are commonplace.

Donna (step-mom), April (sis-in-law), Corey (bro-in-law), Verena (mom-in -law), and us all there to cheer them on.
From there we headed to Temple to stay with Rocky's dad and step-mom Donna. We went to watch Royce coach the Academy Bumblebees on Saturday night. They clobbered 'em, too! Way to go bees!
This year will be a little harder to get to the games because of Rocky's schedule, so I am glad we were able to see our 2 favorite teams in one weekend.
Are you ready for some football? I guess I am!

2 comments:

Mauri said...

Amy!! How are you? I am so happy to see you are part of the blogging world! I miss you! I am currently sitting in Sari's cute kitchen in Minnesota. Rick is up here rotating and the boys and I came up to visit. We are having a terrific time! It has been SO fun playing with Rob and Sari. They are the nicest people. They have opened their home to us with open arms and have been catering to our every whim. We love it here and would love to come be their neighbors. Guess we'll see how it all ends up! Ty adores Sari and is reading with her with his arm intwined with hers as we speak. She also helped him with a little art project he needed to do for preschool and has just been darling with the boys. It seems like we have been really good friends for a long time. Anyway, we have been reminiscing about y'all. We hope residency and teaching are treating you well. Rick will be home in November and then we REALLY need to get together! Or, if your hubby is busy, we should play.

rebekah l. louis said...

ugh... i forgot how much i hate fantasy football season...