John got Kalyn to Dallas by telling her that they were going to meet up to spend the weekend with their friends Josh and Terrell. On Saturday, Terrell convinced Kalyn to go shopping with her so the boys could "play golf" but really they came over to my house to set up!
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
The Big Engagement
A few months ago, my little brother John called me and said that he had just asked his girlfriend Kalyn's Dad for her hand in marriage. He was so excited and I was too! We worked together to plan the perfect proposal, and it all happened this past weekend. They have been apart through alot of their relationship for school or jobs, so they have spent many weekends in Dallas meeting half way. I suggested that John do it in our backyard and he instantly agreed! He wanted our families to be there to celebrate and it just seemed like the perfect place for all of that to happen. It was a great night and it all went perfectly...but it wasn't without some work!
John got Kalyn to Dallas by telling her that they were going to meet up to spend the weekend with their friends Josh and Terrell. On Saturday, Terrell convinced Kalyn to go shopping with her so the boys could "play golf" but really they came over to my house to set up!
They hung twinkly lights and chinese lanterns from my tree to make it really special. I was hoping John wouldn't fall from the tree and break his neck and ruin the whole proposal! :0) Brinley loved the lanterns and found one that she drug all over the backyard.
She was a trooper the whole time we worked even though it was past her naptime!
Josh set up his ladders and we took some practice pics to make sure the angles were right. I was happy to play Kalyn in this situation! haha
After they left I worked on the finishing touches of the food. Kalyn's Aunt Lise took care of about half the menu- pork tenderloins and spreads for little sandwiches, orzo salad, chips and guacamole, chocolate cake and pumpkin cake. I appreciated it so much! My contributions were baked brie, greek layered dip, and these ring sugar cookies! Memo also pitched in with some yummy fruit skewers to top it all off. I wish I had pics of the food but things were too crazy to remember to take them!
All the family started arriving at 5:00 and that is when things got really crazy! My house was full of people but I was also in charge of setting up all the last minute props and flowers for the proposal in the backyard. John did such a great job writing a little story about their journey together and gathering props. I just helped him execute all the details.
Our backyard looked so lovely thanks to Rocky's efforts on getting the yard just right. I really missed him because he was in Florida for the American Academy of Ophthalmology meeting!
We got the text that they were on their way at 5:30 and everyone filed in the bedrooms. I had envisioned everyone being crammed in like sardines, but that wasn't the case at all.
Our room was the most popular because Curious George was on for the kiddos.
Everyone was so cooperative and I think they enjoyed chatting getting to know each other!
We got word that they had arrived, and Josh got to work taking pictures to document the event.
Such precious memories captured!
Kalyn spotted Josh taking pictures so he moved inside for a while and got these neat shots through the wreath on my back door!

Just precious!
And then he got on one knee...
and she said yes!
Checking out the gorgeous ring.
We got word inside that it was done, so we headed out. Kalyn was so surprised and happy to see everyone!
Hugs for the Maid of Honor and Best Man- sister Jill and brother David.
Lots of hugs, oohs and ahhs!

We began the celebrating with a champagne toast.
The whole gang!
Then we spent the rest of the evening enjoying delicious food and good company.
Erin, Jeremy, and Emme Clare were there but of course this is the only pic I have to prove it. Of course Erin spent most of her time in the kitchen with me, being my right hand party planner and executer as usual. Emme was a little doll the entire time too. I love this pic of her and Brinley, she is really eyeing that cookie!
Here's another great pic by Josh of our pretty little tree and lovely backyard. It was a wonderful evening!
Yay! Another girl in our sibling pics!
I am so glad John asked me to help with the night, excited for John and Kalyn, and eager for the wedding plans to begin!
John got Kalyn to Dallas by telling her that they were going to meet up to spend the weekend with their friends Josh and Terrell. On Saturday, Terrell convinced Kalyn to go shopping with her so the boys could "play golf" but really they came over to my house to set up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Amy! I just saw this!!!! LOVE THIS POST!!! :) So glad we got great pictures of the big event! Thank you so much for all you did! It was a huge success!!!
Amy, it was all so perfect! Way to go! She is so lucky that you guys documented it so well for her, AND threw her a party! She is very blessed to be getting you as a sister in law as well! : )
Post a Comment