Friday, December 10, 2010

Happy Half Birthday Brinley!

Instead of a regular "Interview" this month, I am going back to the mushy letter from Mama format. My baby girl is another half year older. She is growing up so quickly and I am so grateful for the blessing she is to me and our family!
Dear Little Miss Brinley-
You are 18 months old today- that's a year and a half! I can't believe how much you have grown over the past six months. You are no longer my little baby! God is forming you each and every day into the sweetest, most precious little girl that is a joy to have in our family. Here is a little glimpse in to my favorite things about you right now, Brinsters!

You are a busy little lady, always on the move. You love to walk through the house to see what you can get yourself into. I like to say you are on a constant demolition derby. Your favorite spots are my closet where you get into all my makeup and accesories, the kitchen where you pull out every tupperware container and everything in our junk drawer, and the desk where the computer is. You love to write on paper with pens and pencils and get all the things out of the desk drawer. When you are writing on paper you say "AEIEIA..." just strands of letters over and over again. I think you know that we put letters on paper you little smarty pants! You don't really recognize any letters besides B for Brinley, but you know what letters are.
You really enjoy playing pretend these days. Tea Party and cooking are still some of your favorites. You also still like to take care of your baby. You give her drinks of your milk and put her in your high chair with a bib. You like to wrap her up in your soft blanket and rock her in your chair. You also still like to push her around in the stroller. You also still love being read to- your favorite books right now are 8 Silly Monkeys (you do the motions of bumping your head and wagging your finger when the doctor says no more monkeys jumping on the bed) Goodnight Moon, My Shoes Take Me Where I Want To Go, Goodnight Sweet Butterflies, and Ten Little Ladybugs. You love to point at the animals you know and say the names. Another new toy you are into is puzzles. You really don't put the pieces back in, but again, the demolition is so much fun for you! You haven't played with your other toys as much lately because my things are so much more entertaining. The broom and dustpan, measuring cups and spatulas from the drawer, and dvd cases are what I find out most often.
Along with being on the move at all times, you are almost always talking or making noises. When we are at the store, you love to say hi to people. When you are getting tired of being there, you start talking very loudly and making ridiculous noises. For the most part, people find you endearing, but you are definitely the loudest baby in the store most of the time. One of my favorite things you say is "home" when we pull into the garage. I can tell you are so glad to be there and it makes me so happy! Your other favorite words these days are Elmo, Baby, and Amy. Yes, that's right, my first name. I will hear you calling this from your bed when you want me to get up or sometimes you just say it in your regular daily babble. I don't think you are being disrespectful or anything, I think you have just picked up on the fact that many people call me that name. It's also pretty easy to say. Now, if you are calling me Amy at 13, we might have a problem! Another word I hear you saying alot these days is "peery" (pretty). You love to touch my earrings or stroke my hair and say it, which melts my heart. You also squeal and say it when you see all the Christmas lights this time of year.

Sometimes you can be shy when you meet someone new, but I really think you are the farthest thing from shy. I think it just takes you a while to warm up to people. This even happens sometimes with your Daddy when he has been gone for a few days in a row. Some nights he has to work late and you are already in bed then he has to leave very early in the morning before you get up. When this happens, you kinda give him the cold shoulder. It's like you are mad at him for being away! It doesn't take you long to remember how much you love him though! You have so much fun playing with him- tickling, playing horsey, and giving him all your toys. You are the light of his life too, little girl. Never forget that!
A new thing I have noticed over the past month is your abilty to put more than one word together to communicate. You have said "Bye Bye ___ (Daddy, Baby, Papa, Mimi)", "Hi ____ (Mommy, Daddy) and ___(Mama, Daddy, Baby, WooWoo) night night." You also like to go around looking for things saying, "where is it?" with your hands up shrugging. I know that you understand most of what I say to you but I am beginning to understand most of what you say to me and that is really exciting!

Speaking of WooWoo, that is the name for your best friend Ava. It came about because I like to make up nicknames for your friends and hers is Ava Wava Woo Woo. I started singing a song to the tune of London Bridge that goes, "Ava Wava Woo Woo, Woo Woo, Woo Woo. Ava Wava Woo Woo, my best friend" and it stuck. You now call her WooWoo and her mommy and I both think it is the cutest thing. You talk about her all the time and I think you are beginning to understand what it means to be friends. You still ignore each other for the most part when you are playing but you are always glad to see her and talk about her often. You also cry when you leave one another. Your other good friends right now are Henry and Margaret, Luke and Audrey, Bekah (Even though you don't get to see her as much, you made a real connection at the ranch. You bonded over high heels and bathtime!) Seth and Asher, Maddox, and Hannah. You see these friends most often, so they are who you talk about.

You have developed quite the little sense of humor that I absolutely love. You laugh at many things and I can tell you like making other people laugh too. Another funny story has to do with bodily functions. You have learned that your little body can produce a funny sound and you think it's quite humorous. You have even been known to try to "push out" a couple more of those funny sounds to get another giggle. Definitely not "ladylike" behavior but pretty entertaining for your dad and I. You are a little mess but our child indeed. We will work on appropriate vs. inappropriate behaviors in the near future, but I hope you can always take things lightly and laugh at life.

You love to sing and listen to music and I love to sing with you. I find if I put something to a song, you respond so much better. Your favorite songs to sing and do the motions to are If You're Happy and You Know It (you say "amen!" and it's sooo cute!) The Itsy Bitsy Spider, and The Wheels on the Bus. Your favorite songs for me to sing to you are Zaccheus Was A Wee Little Man, The ABC song, and Hush A By Baby.

I have prayed that you would be a sweet child from the day I found out I was pregnant, and I believe God is instilling that in you already and it's a blessing for me to see. I know this could change as you get older, but right now I can see that you are loving because you willingly give hugs to your family, friends and toys. You are sweet with your friends and easily share toys with them. We haven't reached a "mine" stage yet, but it might be coming soon. You test your boundaries as any child will, but I can see at the heart of things you are a good little girl. We have been working on listening and obeying, and you are doing so well. Sometimes I have to ask more than once, but you always give in. You had a phase of saying no to everything but that faded and you are compliant with most things...that is except changing your diaper! You still hate that but I think it's because you have been teething alot and you have diaper rash. You still haven't gotten your molars completely in- but I will be so glad when you do!
More on the physical side of things, you are growing in that way too! We go to the doctor next week, but the last time we weighed, you were 24 pounds. You are in 12-18 month clothes and size 4 diapers. You are still a good little eater- your favorites are oatmeal with raisins, craisins, cheese, yogurt, toast, ham rollups, cucumbers, salmon patties, berries, rice, and pancakes. When you don't like something you just spit it right out of your mouth, there is no question. Your hair has grown alot too. I didn't notice this until I saw a picture from your first birthday- you are getting some long locks! I don't think I will ever be able to cut off those curls!

Well, sweet girl, I could go on and on but I will cut this off. My heart swells with pride and gratitude that God chose me to be your Mommy. My days are filled with joy and my nights with peace because you are a growing, healthy, happy little girl. I love you more than words can express!

XOXO,
Your Mama

2 comments:

Jenny said...

What an awesome post Amy! I love hearing all about what Brinley is up to, what she is learning and what she loves! It does seem true, the way that she is just so naturally sweet and friendly to people, what a wonderful prayer answered : )! And thanks for adding her long lost friend Bekah to the mix, that was very sweet of you guys to think of us! Infact, I was looking at your blog, and then for whatever reason, had to stop, later on, Bekah "accidentally" touched the computer to make the blog pop back up and she got so excited,saying, "Brinley, Brinley!" So, I think even though they are far away, that bonding over high heels and bathtime should last them until next time!

Kristen said...

Happy 18 months to my friend Brinley! I know that it may seem that I sometimes give you the cold shoulder but you are my very best friend and I always look forward to being around you. I know that you and I will always be best friends. Love,
Woo Woo