Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Decking Our Halls

Christmas decorating has been a slow process for us this year. With Rocky's schedule and Brinley's early bedtime, it's difficult to find time together in the evenings. So, we just broke it up over a weeks time and eventually got it all done! First we did our tradition of reading the Christmas story while putting up the nativity scene.
This year we opted to use Brinley's Little People Nativity scene instead of my nicer Willow Tree one.
Good thinking because Brinley spent the entire time seeing how quickly she could demolish the nativity. Baby Jesus makes quite the nice baseball.
She also spent a good chunk of the time using Rocky as a jungle gym.

The Christmas tree came a few days later. Brin and I set up the tree and got the lights on it before Daddy got home. Brinley was actually a great helper, handing me each tree branch.
Gotta love that "fresh from the attic" smell, huh sister?
She was so happy with our little tree, especially with the "peery" (pretty) lights on it!

When Daddy got home we put the ornaments on- and again, more Daddy Jungle Gym time. This is a popular activity for Brin and Rocky.
Brinley liked emptying out the box but really wasn't too interested in looking at them or learning about them at all. Maybe next year...


Now my most used phrase is "no touch ornaments"....gotta love having a toddler at Christmas time! Sadly though, the only casualty of war came from me, good old butterfingers. I am really sad to lose this little baby booties ornament!
It might have taken a while, and things didn't go just as I planned, but I wouldn't trade our Christmas traditions for anything!

2 comments:

Roger and Robyn said...

Amy, I love those sweet traditions! Glad to know our house isn't the only one where the Little People baby Jesus becomes a projectile. ;)

Jeff and Rani May said...

"wrestling" (as we called it) with my Dad was one of my FAVORITE things in the world when I was little. It was our playtime and nothing was more fun - he would let me "win" and we would have the greatest time (lots of airplane time and tickling). I still remember that so vividly and how great my Dad was...Sweet Brin will probably continue to do this for many years if she is anything like how I was and remember fondly those memories with her Daddy. Merry Christmas to y'all!