Monday, October 18, 2010

Coming Home for Homecoming!

We were in Abilene this past weekend for HSU homecoming. We had so much fun spending time with our friends and reminiscing over our fun 4 (or 5 in my case) years spent there. Rocky wasn't able to go with us last year so we really enjoyed being there with him!

On Saturday morning, Brinley was up bright and early at 6:00 am to play. Yippee! Luckily, Dad and Barbara got up in the attic and pulled down my old stove and play food. Brinley loved playing with them.

The stove was a little rickety but I was honestly surprised at how well everything had held up. I am sure none of you are surprised that this was my all time favorite toy from my childhood. :0)
They also got out my little megaphone from my days as the junior cheerleader at Stamford High School. Brinley kinda looked like a cheerleader in her HSU duds.
After a yummy breakfast, we headed up to HSU campus.

I was so excited that Brinley was old enough this year to enjoy the "Cowpoke Posse" area. She got to meet the miniature white horse. Hardin-Simmons is well known for the 6 White Horses and riders that carry flags in parades and rodeos all over the country. There were actual horse rides for the big kids, but this little guy was perfect for us!

Then we headed over to the toddler area for some real fun!

Wheeeee!

Brinley was itching to get in the bounce house with the big kids. I was hesitant at first, but she held her own for a minute or two then was ready to get out.

I ran into my good buddy Jules. It was so good to see her!

After the kids played a bit, we walked around campus to see some of the updates and improvements. First stop was the bookstore to try and find Rocky and new hat but he just couldn't find the perfect one. Brinley quickly found the "boons".

Hardin Simmons has such a pretty campus. I love the pond with this cute little bridge, and Brinley and Katelyn did too. I think they went over it 10 times.
Next stop was Daddy's home for 2 years- Anderson Dorm. It still smells the same...and that's not necessarily a good thing! haha
We walked around the Johnson Building, Jared and Jeremy's stomping grounds. It's the building where all the business classes are held, and where the computer lab that Rocky and I spent many an evening in is found. I made the boys do a bridesmaid pose there- they loved me for that one!
Brinley loved the big staircase too!

Adelyn was having so much fun she konked right out in her Daddy's arms!

After our campus tour, the 6:00 am wakeup time got the best of Brinley, so Barbara came took her home for a nap. We had lunch at an Abilene favorite, Harold's Barbecue, then went to the football game.

After the game, we headed home for dinner. Granny came over and Brinley was immediately drawn to her walker, or jungle gym. Papa's Purdue hat was another hit of the weekend.
I tried to get a posed pic of BeBe and Brin, because I feel like all I have of them together is action shots, but I couldn't get Barbara to look at the camera! She and Brinley are 2 of a kind!

Granny brought one of her famous chocolate pies for dessert and it was so good!

After dinner, Rocky and I went to SING, another homecoming tradition. It is similar to ACU Sing Song or Baylor's Pigskin Review, but on a MUCH smaller scale. :0)

Rocky has never actually attended SING because it's not really his cup o' tea, but this year was a different story because Ben was emceeing it!
He is well known for his "Marty and Bobbi Mohan-Culp" remake of the SNL skit where the couple sings popular songs. He did a great job, it was so funny!
We ended our weekend by staying out waaayyy too late chatting with our best friends by the fire in the Johnson's backyard. It is so great to think back on our wonderful years at HSU- full of fun times and sweet friends.
But the best memory I have of HSU is an ice cream social where I met a long haired boy from Sudan and fell in love. My life changed forever on that campus and I will be forever grateful!

4 comments:

the bowlin family said...

so fun! reading all about your homecoming weekend has made me excited for baylor's homecoming this weekend. since i am FINALLY catching up with my blog, maybe i'll blog about sooner rather than later. :)

Haley said...

Love the picture of KG and Brin- you can tell that KG is trying to hold her hand... Awww, what a fun weekend!

Jenny said...

what a great weekend amy! both you and brinley looked so cute too! i loved the shirt you made her and that outfit you wore to sing! way to accessorize with a fun belt too! that last pic of you and rocky is beautiful!

Jules said...

So glad I got to see y'all! Looks y'all like a fun weekend! :)