Tuesday, December 11, 2012

3 and a Half!

Brinley Jane-
Happy half birthday sweet girl!  You are getting so big and grown up and before you know it, you will be 4.  You are such a blessing to our life and we find such joy in you every single day.  Here is a little about you these days~
I asked you where you wanted to take your 3 1/2 year old picture and you said in front of the oven...so that explains that!  I convinced you to take one in front of your growth chart but only after agreeing to measure beloved giraffe first and discussing how Ava and Bekah both take pictures in front of their growth charts.  Oh my.
It is so fun to see you learning more and more every day.  Your creativity truly amazes me.  You love to do any type of art project or craft and you have gotten really good at writing letters.  You can write your whole name and you are beginning to sound out and write words like Mom, Dad, and Nan.  Why? has also become a major word in your vocabulary. I honestly have to say that it sometimes drives me crazy because I don't have an answer for you, but I try to tell myself it's a good thing.  And it is. :0)  Your Dad and I are also amazed by your memory.  You will bring up events that happened 6 months to a year ago.  Sometimes we don't even remember them!   Not many things get past you these days. 
You really enjoy our theme days and often ask if it's pumpkin/bug/leaf day again.  We have been going to a little art class at the museum once a month called Tot Spot and you really enjoy it.  The library also has super storytime where they do a craft, and you always have fun with that. 
You also like going to the zoo.  The "funny monkeys" as you call them, are your favorite.  They will come up to the window and give you a high five or let you give them a pat on the back.  You will just sit and laugh at them all day if I let you. 
 
You also enjoy going to zoo school once a month.  The zookeeper holds a little class about an animal, plans a craft, reads some books, then lets the kids either see the animal up close in the classroom or go out into the zoo and feed it.  I am glad we have these opportunities to tide you over until you can go to preschool next semester.  As much as I will miss you at home, I know you will love it! 
A couple of months ago, you got your first real haircut.  You have had one trim before but this was a little more substantial. I had the hair dresser put some layers in your hair to see if it would curl up a little more, and it did!  I just love your long blond hair.  Before you were born I dreamt that I had a little girl with long blond curly hair like you have but I never believed it would really happen.  I might not let you really cut it until you are 18 just to keep those sweet little curls.  haha

Since my last post about you, you have had a major change in your life.  You are now a big sister!  I know i have said it over and over, but seriously, you are the BEST big sister!  You love Cason so much and I see it every day in the way you treat him.  You are constantly kissing him and loving on him, you see to it that he has his passy if he is crying, and you always let me know if he needs anything.  Sometimes at night after you have been in bed a while you ask to see Cason, so I bring him in and you just want to lay with him and snuggle.  So so sweet.
I can see God's hand in your life through your compassion and love for him.  One day I know you will be a great babysitter and then an amazing Mommy!
The addition of your little brother has brought out a lot of independence in you.  It's like you turned into a big girl overnight.  You aren't as scared and timid as you used to be about things.  When I use the blender, you just go to your room and shut the door instead of throwing a crying fit.   You now love to take showers and will spend a long time playing, singing, and making up games in there. 
This independence is especially evident in the area of clothing choice. You do not want me to pick anything out for you to wear, and if I do, there is usually a fight. You want to decide and at times I can sway you my direction, but usually I try my best to let you use your opinions and decide. I only really put my foot down when you want to wear something inappropriate for the weather- like today when it's 35 degrees outside and you wanted to wear a short sleeve shirt and twirly skirt. Your criteria is pink, sparkly, and a dress. Its near to impossible to get you into pants or jeans. Leggings are as close as we get. I want you to be confident in the beautiful person God created you to be, and not get so caught up in the outward appearance, so if that means 3 shades of pink, a purple flower in your hair, and red sparkly shoes...or rain boots, a ballerina suit, and a tutu.... then so be it. 
You have developed quite an affinity for candy and chocolate lately. This is not my proudest moment as a mother, but how can I compete with big sister gifts, halloween, and everywhere else that hands out candy on a daily basis?  You often times come up to me during the day and say, "I'm still hungry" which you really are not, you are just hoping you will get some candy out of it.  Seriously?  Man oh man.  Here you are after one of your favorite treats-a chocolate graham cracker from Starbucks.  I get my Cafe Mocha and you get your treat...it's a win win!  But we are gonna have to do a detox on you pretty soon little sugar-a-holic!
Even though you are a chocolate fan, you also like healthy foods like scrambled eggs, greek yogurt, natural peanut butter with apples or in a pb&J, and all types of fruit.  You don't love veggies but you will happily eat sugar snap peas or cucumbers with ranch. All in all, I would say you are a pretty good eater for your age.  You also love to cook with me, which I love!
You and your Daddy have developed quite the special relationship over the past year.  It has made my heart so happy to watch.  He is the best playmate for you and you have so much fun together.  He is always willing to play any game, pretend to be any thing, or go anywhere to make you smile and laugh.  Some of your favorite games to play together are hide and seek, dinosaur, or "Blastar". 
You make nightly trips to the mailbox together where he carries you on his shoulders and teaches you the numbers by counting the mailboxes.  Last month, he brought you your very first rose.  You were so proud of it and it made you so happy.  Never let a man treat you any less sweet girl.  You deserve the best, just like your Daddy!
You and Daddy teamed up to give me the best birthday celebration I think I have ever had.  You had all the ideas and made all the decisions and Daddy just made it happen. 
We had a special lunch party complete with Angry Birds plates and napkins, butterfly cups, Happy Birthday party hats, balloons, and party blowers.  We had subway for lunch and you picked out the perfect gift- a rubber squeaky dinosaur, a play microphone, dark chocolate almonds, and gum.  All your ideas. :0)  I loved every bit!
Well precious girl, that sums up alot of who you are these days, although I could never express in words what an amazing, sweet, loving, and one of a kind little girl you are.  Your Daddy and I are so proud to be your parents and we are thankful to God for the person he is creating you to be.  Almost nightly we lay in bed and talk about the funny, cute, or clever things you did or said that day.  You are a shining little light and our very best girl. 
Love you sooo much!
XOXO, Your Momma

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Oh Amy, that's one precious girl you have! it melted my heart to hear of the way she had all the ideas for your birthday celebration, what a wonderful idea of rocky's and what perfect details by brinley! we sure miss that girl!