We have been doing our best to get in the Christmas Spirit around here. Having a 2 year old that tells you daily how excited she is for Santa to come helps alot. First things first, the day after we got home from our Thanksgiving travels, we put up the tree. Our tree is humble to say the least, but it works for our little house. Brinley loved helping Daddy put each branch in, then I haphazardly threw some lights on it. Needless to say, we are in the market for a pre-lit tree about twice the size for next year!Then it was time for ornaments. Brinley took so much more thought and care into unpacking each one than last year. She still doesn't have the dexterity to actually get those little hooks on the tree, but she did her best trying!And no tree is complete without an angel on top!I have been trying to drive home to Brinley the true meaning of Christmas since its really the first year that she knows what is going on. We still talk about Santa and get excited, but every chance I get, I remind her that we celebrate because it is Jesus' birthday. We put out her Little People Nativity (intivity in her words) set and she kept moving Baby Jesus into this little lantern I use to decorate with. She said it was his house. I agree that he deserves a better house than that stable! How cool is it that the Savior of the World and the King of all Kings chose to be born in a nasty old stable?
Every night that we can, we have been doing our "Special Tree" which is a tree with 24 ornaments and a devotional to go along with each one. It has been a tremendous blessing to hear our sweet girl pray and talk about Mary, Joseph, Bethlehem and the angels. Another point I have been trying my hardest to drive home to Miss Brin is that it is better to give than to receive. I know this is not sticking in her self-absorbed 2 year old mind, but maybe if we start early, it will be all she knows. Anyhoo, we had lots of fun making our traditional "white trash" for her teachers and our neighbors. I will give you one guess as to what this little girl's favorite ingredient was...it starts with and M and ends with an M. :0) We also made a fun little matching game for some of our best friends. Too bad it is kinda crummy and the ink rubbed off the pictures after one play...oh well, it's the thought that counts. Another good life lesson!So, one more week full of visits with Santa, last minute shopping, and a birthday party for Jesus til the big day arrives! I leave you with Brinley serenading us with her favorite carols last night at dinner.
"Above all, love one another deeply, for love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gifts he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ." 1 Peter 4:8-11
No comments:
Post a Comment