Wednesday, September 21, 2011
Our Week in Houston- Courtney and Callie
When I found out that Callie would be receiving her radiation treatments at MD Anderson in Houston, I immediately knew that I could come down to help her out and stay at The Burkharts for the week. And we just returned from doing just that! I am going to have to break this post up into a few because we had such a great time and we did so many fun things. So, here is a glimpse of our time with Courtney and Callie!
Our mornings were spent at the Proton Center where Callie had her radiation treaments. The first day we were there we all showed our spirit by wearing our Callie Shirts. They say, "My God is so big, so strong, and so mighty. There's nothing my God cannot do for Callie!" It was so amazing to get to witness this phrase first hand, come to life, by seeing Callie run, play, talk, laugh, and love life! Thank you Lord for the amazing miracles you have performed in her life!
The Proton center had a great playroom stocked with all of Brinley's favorite toys. It made the waiting so much easier!
Radiation only took a couple of hours so after that we were free to do whatever we pleased until naptime. One day we just played at the Ronald McDonald house where Court and Callie are staying, and one day we ventured out to the Houston Acquarium!
Callie was the only 2 year old interested at all in the Sting Ray tank. Brinley wanted no part of it!
The white tigers intrigued and captivated us all. They are so grand and gorgeous!

Brinley had her first ride on a carousel and she loved it! She still talks about how she rode on a dolphin and I rode on an alligator.
The shark train was a different story...as you can see Callie was happy as a clam, and Brinley was ok until they closed us up in a little clear glass tunnel with sharks swimming all around. That is when she pretty much lost it.
We also spent alot of time at the Burkharts letting the girls play and sharing meals. Jenny went above and beyond to make them feel comfortable and I know Courtney and Callie loved being in such a warm and hospitable home with fun toys and delicious food. I am so grateful to the Burkharts for being gracious hosts! One evening Jenny and I kept Callie so Courtney could get her nails done. These three girls had a blast together! From princess dress up, to coloring and playdough, to riding Reba the horsey and singing "She'll be coming round the mountain" they were (mostly) all smiles!
I am so thankful that I was able to spend this time with Courtney and Callie. It was such a blessing to get to sit and talk with my best friend and to watch our girls enjoy one another. I hope the week was as much of a blessing to them as it was to me! (And, by the way, this Friday is her last day of radiation and they will be headed back to Abilene. Now we just pray that there are no lasting radiation side effects and no more tumors!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sounds like yall had an amazing week! Callie is a very prayer for and loved little girl. Katelyn prays for her at each meal and at bedtime. She will be glad to know Callie will be finished this Friday- God is good!
Post a Comment