Sunday, May 31, 2009

Let's go to the movies!

Let me first of all start this post with a confession...we love animated movies. One of our first activities as a couple was watching Shrek in the living room of my apartment. We have seen almost all the Disney Pixar movies in the theater. This is all because I am not a very good date to a movie. I am extremely picky about what I will see. I don't want to spend money on a movie that is going to make me scared, overly sad, too full of thought, or one with lots of violence and killing. I can experience all those things watching the 10 o'clock news, so why pay 10 bucks? Also, why make yourself feel more depressed than you already might feel? Let's just say I am not a movie buff at all. So, when we were browsing the movie listings last night for what we knew would be our last date to the theatre in a while, Disney Pixar's UP was the obvious choice.

It would be lighthearted, easy on the pregnancy hormones, cute, and fun....not so much.


If you are dying to see this movie and don't want to have any of the details spoiled, stop reading now. I am not going to give you the entire rundown but I might spoil a few points.

It all starts with a cutie patootie little boy meeting a vivacious and talkative little girl in an abandoned old house that she has made into her "Adventure Clubhouse". They have a mutual love for adventure, and she lets him in her club. It proceeds from there to show a 5 minute or so video montage of the rest of their lives together. They get married, buy the house and fix it up, grow old together, etc. etc. Let me just cut to it and say that it ends with her dying!!

I. Was. Bawling.

I just couldn't handle how absolutely sweet and precious this old man was and how much he adored his wife and missed her dearly. After the montage, it cuts to present day where he is still in the house, alone, trying to maintain his life like it was before she died, and the "men in black suits" are trying to tear down his house to build a skyscraper or something. So, as you can probably tell from the movie title, the old man decides to move his house using billions of helium balloons. There is alot more to the movie that I am not going to go into at this point, but they continue to flashback to memories he had with his sweet wife that once again started the tears a flowing. I honestly don't know where Disney Pixar comes up with their story lines- the movie got a little weird and did make me laugh and smile with the addition of a chubby little boy scoutish kid, talking dogs, and the banter of an old geezer, but the majority of the time was spent in tears for me.

So, if you are looking for an easy watch, don't go see UP! Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie, just not what I thought it would be. This movie definitely fits into the category with Wall-E. A "kids" movie that is not really centered on kid stuff in my opinion. It hit on many issues, was pretty darn sad at times, and had some wonderful underlying meanings that kids most likely will not catch. I am sure kids will see it, and somehow there will be backpacks and lunchboxes screen printed with a balloon floating house next August when school starts, but, if you ask me, this would definitely be more of an adult movie.

I left the theatre clinging to my sweet husband and feeling thankful for every day we spend together. I cried a few tears, but whether or not to chalk that up to pregnancy hormones is up for debate. These were my thoughts on the movie, but it would be interesting to see how other less hormonal women take it. Let me know if you see it.

(really bad iphone pic)

In the end, I was so thankful for what looks to be one of the last carefree nights at the movie with my sweet Rocky for a while, even if I did shed an unexpected tear or two.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I am really glad I read this, because I like to be prepared when I go to the movies too! Have a great week, Amy! I sure do miss seeing you daily!