Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hola Fish Tacos!

I had some great fish tacos with my friend Lucy the other night at Tin Star. They were tasty but I felt like they were so rich and heavy. I decided that I wanted to try my hand at a lighter version, so here is what we tried last night. They were delicious and super easy!

Amy's Fish Tacos
1 lb. fish (I used catfish because it was on sale but I would also use tilapia)
cumin, garlic salt, chili powder, a pinch of cayenne pepper
limes
flour tortillas
shredded cabbage
pico de gallo (recipe below)
lime cilantro cream (recipe below)

Sprinkle both sides of fish with spices and lime juice. Marinate for about 1 hour. Heat up your skillet with about 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Once pan is hot, add your fish fillets and cook until opaque in color and firm. Remove from pan to cool a bit. You could also do the fish on the grill, we just don't have one!
Prepare tacos by placing a layer of fish, followed by shredded cabbage, pico de gallo, and cream onto warmed flour tortillas. Enjoy!
These are also great as leftovers- I had it in my lunch today!
Pico De Gallo
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 jalapeno, deveined and deseeded, chopped finely
1/2 onion chopped
approximately 3 tablespoons of chopped cilantro (to taste)
drizzle of olive oil
drizzle of red wine vinegar
seasoned salt to taste
Put all ingredients in a bowl and allow to sit for a few hours to enhance the flavors. This is also delicious served with tortilla chips.

Cilantro Lime Cream

3/4 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
1 handful cilantro or more to taste
Juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper

Place all ingredients in a food processer or blender. Blend until well combined and smooth.
I served this meal with my classic Cuban black beans and rice. Here are 2 things I tried with this meal that I loved!
Steamfresh Rice

We had the spanish version and it was so easy! It tasted great and it was cooked perfectly. They also sell long grain white rice and brown rice that are great too.


Mission Carb Balance Tortillas

These are very big and 2 points on weight watchers. I know that might seem like alot to a WW, but they are so good and moist! They taste just like the real thing.

No comments: