Friday, June 22, 2012

Saying So Long...

Wow, it's hard to write this post.  I think it's something I need to do as closure, but it's hard.  I am a mixed bag of emotions right now as I sit in my house typing away to the sound of strapping tape and boxes being packed.  A part of me is so sad, thinking of the sweet friends I will leave behind and our first little home that we have grown to love so much.  Part of me is excited to get to Abilene and get settled in our new home, new job, and new friendships.  Part of me is so anxious about decisions that will have to be made and about the sale of our home here.  And part of me is so grateful as I look back on our 8 years here and the people we have met and grown to love.  It's a difficult transition, but I know God's promises to me are true, and I find my strength in these:
 "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”  Hebrews 31:6.  
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning;  great is your faithfulness.  I say to myself, The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”  Lamentations 3:22-24


Many of our precious friends have made time for us over the past month to say farewell.  The first "going away" party was with the praise team from our church here, Valley Ranch Baptist Church.  I think this is one of the hardest things to leave.  I have gone to many churches in my life and never have I loved one as much as this!  Singing in the praise team has been an unexpected blessing to me and I will be forever grateful for what God has taught me about himself and myself through  the experience.  I didn't get a picture of the group at the picnic, but here is a professional one we had made a while back as a gift for our Music Minister. 
 
At the picnic they presented me with the most amazing gift.  It is a framed picture of the score to the first song I ever sang there, the photo of the band, and the verse we have as a sort of mission statement for the praise team.  The words of the song are so powerful and fitting for our next steps-
"Precious cornerstone, sure foundation.  You are faithful to the end.  We are waiting on you Jesus. We believe you're all to us."

 Another aspect of VRBC that we will miss dearly is our small group.  We have met twice a month over the past year and have grown so close as we learn more about marriage, God's word, and each other.  We will miss this accountability and true picture of christian fellowship but trust that God has a plan for this area of our life as we move on to Abilene.
 
More recently, we got together with some of my old teaching buddies from Yale.  Even though only one of them still teaches there, we have kept in touch and gotten together every now and then for dinner.  These ladies walked through some of the hardest times of my life with me and I will always cherish our friendship.  This is only a few that were able to make it that evening, but the rest of you know who you are!
We had our last official, unofficial supper club gathering with the Louis', Seamans', and Warminskis.  Oh my,  I can't even put into words how much I will miss these sweet friends that actually feel much more like family.  Our friendship is easy, we understand each other, and most of all enjoy one another's company so much.  Our children also love each other and get along so well.  I find comfort in knowing that they are my life friends and distance is not going to damage the bond we share.  We will all be going our separate ways in the next few years, we just happen to be the first. :0( 

We had an impromptu gathering with the Seamans' and the Louis' at the arboreteum this week.  It was our last trip to the arboreteum and I have to say that bidding farewell to that place was much easier on a day with what felt like 100% humidity!
Now bidding farewell to the fun times with sweet friends is a different story entirely!! 
 Cason even got in on the photo action with two of his future best buds, Simon and Connor!

That evening we had our last official girls night with Tana, Vaune, Kristen, and Rebekah (we missed you Meagan!).  We have been getting together once a month for the past year or so to eat, craft, and mostly talk.  I love love love these girls and will miss this time with them sooo much! 

They each crafted something for me to have in the new house which was so special, and Rebekah had her sister paint this amazing portrait of our house.  The tears definitely flowed when I opened this precious keepsake. 
Brinley has also had some special times with her sweet little friends over the past few weeks.  First was a mall playdate with our Wylie/Murphy friends Madison and Carter.

We also played at the splash park with Maddox, Rachel, and Baby Lively, our good old neighbor buddies.  I have really appreciated Rachel and their family being right across the alley.  I pray that our neighbors in Abilene will be even half as wonderful as they have been!
Brinley played with her good sister buddies, Ella and Hannah today while the movers packed everything up
 And we are spending the night at the Warminskis tonight.  The Louis' came over for dinner and the kids got in a little more playing and popsicle eating. 

Tomorrow Brinley and her best friend Ava will have one last princess dressing, coloring, play cooking, and Barbie playing playdate before we pull out.
I knew this would be hard, and it has been, but I am just trying to focus on my immense gratitude for these friendships. I am seriously so undeserving of such loyalty, encouragement, and support, but I have been blessed anyway.  I will close with Brinley's first glimpse of our new home when we were there a few weeks ago.
 In the midst of our sadness about leaving, we are so excited to get moved in, and we have lots of space, so come see us in A-Town, yall!

6 comments:

the bowlin family said...

What great post Amy!! So excited for the new things to come. Praying for you and your sweet family as you say good-bye and make the move. May you feel the comfort of His Spirit every step of the way. Hugs!! :) Can't wait for more pictures of the new house. I know it will be beautiful and you will make it a perfect home for your family.

The Owen Family said...

Aw, Amy, made me tear up. Such a great post! We are praying that the transition is easy for y'all. You are so sweet and loving, you will not have a problem making new friends. I definitely look forward to seeing more pictures of the new house and hearing about the move.

Tracey said...

Where is the new house? And is rocky's office in the new building off industrial, along loop 322?

Meve & Co. said...

amy, what blessings portrayed in this post! wow- amazing! you are such an amazing person to know...i will think of you each time we drive to san angelo. i know God has great things in store for you in A-town!

rebekah l. louis said...

great post!! we look forward to what God has in store for the McAdams family! we love you guys so very much.

Jenny said...

Wow! What an awesome send off you guys had! You are so loved and it's obvious how missed you will be! I am so excited for this new chapter ! God will provide all the support you need there, and will help to keep those long distance relationships strong! Love you!