Monday, January 10, 2011

An Interview with a 19 Month Old

Brinley Jane, you are 19 months old today!

Here is how our monthly "chair/raggedy ann" shot went today...blame it on the age or not feeling well....hmmm?

Brinley: Ok Mom, take the pic and hand over the sticker, ok?

Mommy: Oh wait, you can't see the sticker, let's move it.


Brinley: NOT enthused.

Mommy: Ok, now, say cheese! Come on, smile!
Brinley: Take the stinkin picture. I am over this- no smiles from me. Period.

Mommy: Fine, then...take the sticker. It's not that big of a deal!
Brinley: Oh, it is to me!

Mommy: Ok, well then will you at least show the 19 on the sticker?

Mommy: I surrender.


So now, without further adieu, here is the interview with a 19 month old!

What are your favorite foods?
burritos (bweetos), eggs, toast with butter, cereal (seeyol) cheese, crackers, yogurt, oatmeal with raisins, but most of all, berries! Any time Mommy or Daddy asks me what I want to eat, no matter what meal, I say "beewies!" then I usually grin or say "naw" because I know I can't have them for every meal. But, I do find it pretty funny.


What are your favorite toys?
My new slide and swing outside, as usual.
My stuffed Elmo and Mickey.
My dress up doll, Betsy.
My new stove and play food
My play blender
My musical instruments, especially the drum!
My magnetic "Fridge Farm" animal matching game



What else do you enjoy doing?
- Snuggling in my soft blankets with my stuffed animals, or with Mommy or Daddy! When they say "snuggle in!" I move my legs up and down and get really excited!

- Snuggling in has also made me like going to bed more these days. Probably because I sleep with 2 blankets and 5 or 6 stuffed animals or babies. I will lay in my bed and talk to them for quite some time before and after my naps. I have been sleeping well too, usually 11-12 hours at night and a 2-3 hour nap...but that can change like the weather in Texas!

- And speaking of sleeping and snuggling, I love it when my mommy or daddy rubs my back softly. I giggle, say "tick" (tickle) then say "more". This melts my momma's heart!
- Writing on paper. As I write, I say my favorite letters over and over again "I A B I A E B"
- Playing with all the visitors we have had over the past month. Here I am with Uncle John (Donn) and Kalyn (TayTay). I also love talking about and reciting all my family members names. I even call them on Mommy's old cell phone and have some great conversations.
- Reading all my books. I have started using intonation when I read. There are usually lots of squeals mixed in with my babbling. My mommy thinks it's because she reads that way. I am also able to "read" some of my books with predictable texts.
- Making lots of noise- I will turn on my sound machine full blast and all my music playing toys on at the same time. I also narrarate what is going on throughout the day. While I am eating, Mommy hears "fork" "plate" "cheese" "milk"...and anything else that is on my tray. I rarely stop talking and if I do, my mommy knows it's because I am getting into trouble.
- Bathtime with Daddy, especially reading my bath books "Hey Hey" and Disney Princesses.
- Peekaboo is still a favorite!
What new things are you doing this month?
- putting the puzzle pieces on the right spots
- blowing my nose when my Mommy wipes it (this has been especially helpful to her today since I am a little under the weather)
- Putting the silverware away in the drawer
- I will say cheese and pose for a picture (yay!! says mommy)
- Wearing my hair in a pony tail!

What are your new words?
- I am making it really hard on my Mommy to keep track of these because I talk all the time. One funny word I have learned is "opposite". I have 2 books about them and I often ask to read them.
- I am also saying lots of phrases like:
"Bye Bye, See you dubabudaluba!" (bye bye, see you later!)
"Daddy is he?" (where is Daddy?)
"Hi Mommy!"
- Daddy is working really hard with me on learning my color words and letters of my name during bath time. My initial answer to every color question is blue (bwoo) and my favorite letters are I and B. Sometimes I like to joke about this too and Daddy has to remind me to focus. :0)
- I love to say "hi" to any and everyone. The other day we were in the grocery store walking down the aisle, and there was a woman on a jazzy scooter on an aisle we passed by. I yelled "hi!" to her so loud, she almost jumped out of her jazzy!

Have you been in trouble at all?
I am learning to eat at my kid table for meals and I often get in trouble for getting up while I am eating or taking my food and drinks around the house with me. I have spilled my milk a couple of times and Mommy is not a fan of that.

Are there any things you don't like?
I do not like it when my Mommy and Daddy show affection for one another. If they are hugging or holding hands I always stand at their feet and cry then try to pry them apart. Sometimes they torture me with this, and I don't like it at all! They think it's because I think Mommy is all mine, and they are probably right!
Miss Brinley- you are so much fun right now! You are a little sponge absorbing all the knowledge you can get, and I love it! Your sweet little heart is just bursting with love for me and others. I am so grateful to have you as my daughter. I love you more than words can express!
XOXO, Your Momma

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Cuteness! Gosh, those "first stages of reading" skills that she is showing is impressive! Intonation and everthing, go Brin! Teehee and the jam session in her room and the jazzy stories made me giggle, I can totally picture that! : ) I love the new set up in the kitchen, it looks great, what a big girl she is to sit there and eat! Bekah does that for snacktime and we feel like such a big girl! : ) You two are doing such a great job with her, showing her how to love and be kind and friendly, teaching her all her pre school skills and how even, how to obey! : )