Tuesday, January 4, 2011

HSU NYE 2010

Our annual tradition for New Years Eve is to spend it in Austin with our college "group". I had lots of friends in college, but (almost all) this "group" all dated throughout college then ended up getting married, so we have the unique priviledge of all knowing each other well. Lots of us were roommates, we have travelled together, taken lake trips together, and attended each other's weddings. We always have so much fun reminiscing on old memories and making new ones!

We always take a very laid back approach to NYE, just the way I like it. Lots of hanging out, eating, catching up, and relaxing. We all pile into the Hughes' house sleeping on couches and air mattresses. I am so glad we have kept this up even as we have had children because they are becoming good friends too! Katelyn and Brinley hit it off from the start and had a great time playing together all weekend.

Brinley loved playing with all of Katelyn and Adelyn's toys. The first thing she went for was the bouncer...random! We have one of these in the attic, should I bring it back down? Hmm...contained playtime activity...I like it!

After the toys lost their newness, Haley had planned for the kids to make party hats to ring in the new year. Katelyn got very excited about this project! I can't wait for Brin to enjoy crafting.
She mainly just liked wearing hers!

They were both very proud of their sassy hats.
Ben also got festive and borrowed Brin's hat! Can't you see the excitement in his eyes?

And no day would be complete without some sing alongs. Sweet girls.
Of course the girls weren't going to stay up to see the New Year arrive, so we thought they would enjoy doing a sparkler before bed. Yeah, not such a good idea for the Brinsters. She was terrified.

12:00- Happy New Year! 12:05- Goodnight! Yes, we are old.
And since we kept with our normal early bedtime, we kept with our normal early waketime too! The girls were up bright and early New Years morning, ready to play some more. We added a friend, Brailey, to our girl party. She was really good at climbing the slide but I must admit the kindergarten teacher in me wanted to reprimand her for it! :0)

Beep Beep! They all had lots of sharing practice too!

The men folk also woke up wanting to play, so they headed to a local school for some homerun derby. Too bad Rocky is still sore from this endeavor. :0)

That night, Haley's sister came over to babysit the sleeping kiddos and we hit the town for a dinner out!

We went to Moonshine, my favorite Austin restaurant. I just love hanging out with these friends that know us so well. Yummy food and good friends, I couldn't ask for anything more!

After dinner we went to the Melting Pot for dessert and drinks. Wait, let me rephrase that- the guys went for drinks and the girls went for dessert!
I will take a dessert over a drink anyday- bring on the dark chocolate fondue!! Haley and I were a bit too excited about this portion of the evening.
After dinner and dessert, we old married parents headed back home to bed and the hip and cool single folks hit 6th street! I am glad we went on to bed because these little darlins were again, awake bright and early, ready to start the day.

Since Nolan wasn't there with his parents, it was all girls. They were so cute holding hands and posing for pics.

And proceeding to hug goodbye to one another.
After a yummy brunch we hit the road back home. What a wonderful way to ring in the New Year! Thanks Hughes fam for having us out. We will be back for 2011!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

What a perfect New Years for the whole family! That one pic of Brinley looking at the sparkler is once again one of those funny/sad pics, teehee! The hat idea was a great one though! I am glad that you had such a good time with your college friends, it's awesome that y'all still do that!